So, before sacrificing your livelihood, sex-life, children's future, ability to socially interact and health, take my test to see if you've got what it takes to go the distance – it might just save you from throwing your life down the toilet.
- Do you frequently think about your characters and story while you should be focusing on work issues? Time you should be closing deals or pouring creativity into presentations and technical documents?
- Have you ever stayed up late writing when you could have gone to bed early with your partner, watched a film together, had a meal, or even a conversation?
- Have you ever locked yourself in a room to write when you could have spent that time interacting with your kids?
- Perhaps given an excuse for not attending a social event so you can crack on with your editing?
- Has your thrice weekly gym visit/run/squash session depleted to one or even zero?
If you've answered 'yes' to any of these questions then you really are some distance toward being a committed writer. Whether you think that is a good thing only you can know.
Me, I'm going to start a Writers' Anonymous group. My name is James Killick, and I'm a writer.