Time is Time Enough

Writing is a bad habit – especially if you have a job, a relationship, a family, a social life, or a fitness regime – you may even have all five. Here's the bad news – if you are serious about writing then your time spent doing these things will be lessened. Putting it more bluntly, all these things will suffer if you want to be a writer.

So, before sacrificing your livelihood, sex-life, children's future, ability to socially interact and health, take my test to see if you've got what it takes to go the distance – it might just save you from throwing your life down the toilet.


  1. Do you frequently think about your characters and story while you should be focusing on work issues? Time you should be closing deals or pouring creativity into presentations and technical documents?

  2. Have you ever stayed up late writing when you could have gone to bed early with your partner, watched a film together, had a meal, or even a conversation?

  3. Have you ever locked yourself in a room to write when you could have spent that time interacting with your kids?

  4. Perhaps given an excuse for not attending a social event so you can crack on with your editing?

  5. Has your thrice weekly gym visit/run/squash session depleted to one or even zero?

If you've answered 'yes' to any of these questions then you really are some distance toward being a committed writer. Whether you think that is a good thing only you can know.

Me, I'm going to start a Writers' Anonymous group. My name is James Killick, and I'm a writer.

Comments

  1. I'm 4/5 on these (only because I'm N/A for Question 3).

    Depending on the time of day, the people I'm around (if any) and whether or not there's wine present goes a way towards determining whether it's a good thing or bad.

    I'd say its almost unequivocally bad if I'm lounging around in front of the TV though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey can I sign up for this support group? I've answered "YES" to all of these questions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts